Saturday, April 11, 2015

'The Dancing Ladies'


                                                                                watercolour by Michelle McGrahan Devlin
"The Dancing Ladies"
Like a row of dancing ladies they sway,
In the soft summer breeze
Where they laugh and they play
Oh the dancing ladies they swing their soft hips
And bob their heads yes
As they blow you a kiss.
The sunflower ladies
Are sunny and bright
They whisper and giggle
and gossip all night.
How I love their bright smiles,
And their soft green embrace.
Prettty sunflower ladies
Draped in gossamer lace
Of a spider web dress-
They're a picture of grace!
by Michelle Devlin
This is a watercolour painting I did afew years ago to attempt to capture the delightful group of dancing ladies who never failed to entrance me. Each one was unique, each had her very own personality, and my amateur attempt to paint them did, I feel, capture the feeling of their movement and joyfulness.
If you have never tried painting with watercolours, I highly recommend you give it a try, and just make sure you find a subject that inspires you, preferably from nature. It is more about evoking the spirit of the subject, I believe, than any kind of technical exercise. Have fun with it! The wonderful thing about painting is that if you make a mistake - well you can just paint over it!
I hope my picture of the dancing ladies gives you the same cheerful feeling it gave me to paint it!
MichelleDevlin is based in Barrie, Ontario, Canada

No comments:

Post a Comment